The Bailey’s Women’s Prize for Fiction Longlist 2017 has been announced, and there are some amazing books and authors listed.
We were promised 12 books but have been given 16, which just goes to show how good the past 12 months have been for women writers.
Making the list is Sarah Perry’s The Essex Serpent, which has to be one of the most popular books of last year; it seems to have been everywhere. Great that it gets recognition here too.
Margaret Atwood, Eimear McBride, Annie Proulx, and Linda Grant are also on the longlist, as is Naomi Alderman, for her novel The Power.
Here’s the list in full:
- Stay With Me, Ayobami Adebayo
- The Power, Naomi Alderman
- Hag-Seed, Margaret Atwood
- Little Deaths, Emma Flint
- The Mare, Mary Gaitskill
- The Dark Circle, Linda Grant
- The Lesser Bohemians, Eimear McBride
- Midwinter, Fiona Melrose
- The Sport of Kings, C.E. Morgan
- The Woman Next Door, Yewande Omotoso
- The Lonely Hearts Hotel, Heather O’Neill
- The Essex Serpent, Sarah Perry
- Barkskins, Annie Proulx
- First Love, Gwendoline Riley
- Do Not Say We Have Nothing, Madeleine Thien
- The Gustav Sonata, Rose Tremain
As the Bailey’s Prize for Fiction celebrates excellence, originality and accessibility in writing by women from throughout the world, it’s great that today’s announcement coincides with International Women’s Day 2017.